Tuesday, June 12, 2012

-24-

While blogging is fun, I might have put too strict rules for myself. I've noticed that my schedule might not allow me to write on Tuesdays every week, but I still try to post every week. The past week was a bit slow, there were very few news worth mentioning, mostly just Tonys (so that's what this post is mostly about) and boring network business news (Warner Bros. TV bought Vampire Diaries-producing Alloy Entertainment... wohoo?). Especially as I don't watch Mad Men (finale aired few days ago) and True Blood (current season just premiered) nor do I watch Breaking Bad (season five premiered yesterday). But I did find quotes though, most of them old, since my favs are on break.

"-My husband and I rented Mamma Mia!, which I liked, but I don't know if Meryl Streep was the right choice for the role
-Excuse me. Meryl Streep could play Batman and be the right choice!"
-Lady at the day-care and Cameron
Eric Stonestreet on Modern Family

"-Barney are you wearing sweatpants?
-Maybe, but they are Armani."
-Ted and Barney
Josh Radnor and Neil Patrick Harris on How I Met Your Mother

"You remind me of a poem I can't remember and a song that may never have existed and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to"
-Abe Simpson
Dan Castellanetta (voice actor) on The Simpsons

"I guess I can kiss heaven goodbye because its got to be sin to look this good"
-Will
Will Smith on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Then some quick news before the Tonys. Let's start with the hot mess, to quote Chelsea Handler, Lindsey Lohan. It is still unclear what is the fate of Liz&Dick lifetime movie after Lohan's car accident which she claims is due to broken breaks. Let's see, but let's see this first official photo for the movie. Grant Bowler plays Richard Burton


The nominations for the second Critics' Choice Television Awards were released with Community leading with 6 nominations. Though these are only the second annual awards, I do like the fact that they nominate those who most other awards ignore, like Garrett Dillahunt and Martha Plimpton for Raising Hope. It's also quick on its nominations, as Girls and Veep both are represented on the awards. I didn't watch the show last year, I'm not sure it even aired, but I'm looking forward to June 18th when the awards are presented.

Happy news for the fans of Hangover films. The third installation of the movie series will take place in Tijuana, Mexico. After Las Vegas and Bangkok, this seems like a pretty good choice. So expect lots of Tequila, food poisoning and donkeys, that's what I know about Tijuana.

If you've read my blog before, you'll know what Quentin Tarantino's new film is about. If you don't, this brand new trailer for Django Unchained will educate you, enjoy!


Then the 66th Tony Awards, full list of winners here. These were the 66th already and hosted by Neil Patrick Harris for the third time. Though I don't know what most of the plays and musicals are about nor have I seen them for obvious reasons, it was fun to watch this event. There were many faces I didn't recognize but a lot of Hollywood stars with Broadway roots or interests were chosen to present awards, like Jessica Chastain, Jim Parsons and Hugh Jackman.

 As usual, all the nominated musicals performed one song from their show, you can find almost every one from YouTube. Musical Once won in almost all categories it was nominated in, including Best Musical. The musical is based on 2006 film of the same name, which I now have to find somehow. That movie also won the Academy Award for Best Song and that song (Falling Slowly) was included in the musical too. You can read the synopsis here and I posted the video of their performance at the Tonys below.

  
Though the musical numbers were great, I still think NPH might have outdone all of them with his opening act featuring stars like Amanda Seyfried, Patti LuPone and Jesse Tyler Ferguson. See for yourselves:


And to top it all of, here is (in my opinion) the greatest moment of the evening. When NPH got stuck (not really) on the wires while performing a Spider-Man:Turn-Off-the-Dark-inspired stunt. Though this moment was funny already, what made it great was Angela Lansbury. This amazing actress has won five Tonys and is also well known in TV (Murder She Wrote) and film (Broomsticks and Bedknobs, Beauty and the Beast). Even her voice sounds grand. And this video also educates you a bit on what the American Theater Wing does.


That was my post for this week. I started reading Chelsea Handler's book Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, and it's hilarious, so I had to buy her first book Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chlesea too. Great summer reading for all us who enjoy the darker humour.

 I'll post sometime next week again, maybe not Tuesday or maybe Tuesday, it's going to be a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment