Wednesday, June 20, 2012

-25-

Lets see what I've come up with this week. I passed some news I didn't think were worth mentioning, like the bad reviews for Charlie Sheen's Anger Management sitcom or Aaron Sorkin's comedy Newsroom, since they were really not that surprising. Besides that and some minor movie deals, this week has mostly been about Emmy predictions, especially as the TV Critics Choice awards were held this Monday. Last week I mentioned the nominees, but now I have the winners, with few surprises. But first some quotes:

"-Dwight, I would like your undivided attention.
-You couldn't handle my undivided attention"
-Michael and Dwight
Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson on The Office

"I wish I was one of those people who thriveThe Offices on the danger of leading a double live. You know Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker... Hannah Montana."
-Phil
Ty Burrel on Modern Family

"I was thinking with my lady parts"
-Leslie
Amy Phoeler on Parks and Recreation

"-I used to get medical experiments done on me.
-Finally, an explanation."
-Joey and Chandler
Matt LeBlanc and Matthew Perry on Friends

I'll start with the best one I found this week. I've been hyping about the upcoming (March,2014) Maleficent movie starring Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning. Well now, alongside with a press release, Disney has released the first photo for the movie. Read the press release if you want to get a better idea of the plot. Looking good  Mrs. Jolie! Though I'm bit surprised how unchanged the costume is compared to the animated film, but maybe she'll have more costumes than just that iconic one.

Disney had some other news to share too. It has been known for long now that they have been developing a new animated film called Frozen, based on the classic Snow Queen fairytale (though with a lot of changes), but now they have made it official and shared some new info. First of all Kristen Bell will be voicing the main protagonist, while Idina Menzel was cast as the Snow Queen herself. The film will be a classic Disney musical with a lot of songs, but it hasn't been mentioned yet wether it will be a traditionally animated or computer animated film. There are still a lot of questions to ask about this movie, and I'll keep you posted when I find out more.

As I mentioned, the Critics Choice Television Awards were held Monday, and here is the full list of winners. Drama series Homeland and Breaking Bad were the big winners of the night, both winning multiple awards, unlike the most nominated show Community which walked away with just one award (though it was for the Best Comedy Series). Modern Family got both supporting actor awards, while Amy Phoeler (Parks&Rec) and Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) tied for the leading actress award (didn't know that could even happen), both deserving the award. I was very glad to see Paul Rudd get the award for Best Guest Star (comedy) for his role on Parks and Recreation as the naive/idiot/spoiled Bobbie Newport. Julianne Moore also deserved the win for her amazing performance as Sarah Palin in TV movie Game Change.

Then some news about Smash! I know! I was surprised to find it too. Jeremy Jordan was added to the crew as a series regular. To replace the three character (Dev, Ellis and Frank) that are leaving, they've come up with three new roles. Jordan was cast as the straight Brooklyn-born and self destructive singer. He is not really known in TV, but he is playing the leading role in Newsies, a Broadway musical that got him a Tony nomination this year. The two remaining roles will probably be filled soon too.

This was all over the Internet last week, though I don't know why it was this late (the episode aired last year and the DVD came out this March). There was a scene in the first season of Game of Thrones, where among other heads on spikes was one that looked a lot like George W. Bush. HBO and the show execs both have apologized for the "mistake". They told that it was just a mistake, as they purchase their props in stacks and there just happened to be one that looked like the former president. So it might not be anything political, but I think it was funny as hell. Here is the picture from the scene:


Conan was in Chicago last week with his show and he had some great guest stars (not Adam Sandler though, never!) like Jack McBrayer. He went to visit Wieners Circle with Triumph the Insult Dog, it sounds just as ridiculous as it is. If, like me, you don't know what the Wieners Circle is, see Wikipedia. And here is the video:


Now lets get nerd-y. Vijay Pandurangan has studied the color use in movie posters, which was pretty good. He gathered over 30,000 posters and with some computer code (don't ask, read here) gathered the color information used in them. This picture doesn't take black and white colours into account, but it's still pretty fascinating. We can see from it how the blue sector has increased, and the purple/magenta phase 1980-1990 is pretty much over. It's worth checking out.


That's all this week, see ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment